Welcome to Thunderbird Add-ons.
Add extra features and styles to make Thunderbird your own.Close
About this Add-on
SmartTemplatesis the next generation of the popular addon SmartTemplate
You can use it for automatically filling fields like first name, last name into your reply email, or adding keywords to the subject line. You can even change the reply-to address based on search words with powerful match & replace functions. 17,000 users agree that it is a great time saver. In conjunction with the Stationery Add-on you can manage many powerful html templates for all your email needs.
SmartTemplates is currently translated in the following 18 languages:
German, Dutch, English, Spanish, Finnish, French, Italian, Japanese, Occitan, Polish, Brazilian (Portuguese), Russian, Serbian, Slovenian, Swedish, Ukrainian, Simplified Chinese and Tw Chinese.
If you would like to help translating SmartTemplate⁴ into your own language, please visit the Babelzilla.org
The current Version can be found here:
- Custom templates can be automatically used for compose, reply and forward messages
- supports HTML and plain-text - some features are HTML only.
- adding your signature to your mail template (from Thunderbird Account settings)
- Define separate templates for new messages (compose), reply and forward messages
- Mail templates can be used by a single account or common for all accounts
- Intelligent content in your template by use of keywords (variables)
- This add-on does not change the default config settings. (e.g., mailnews.reply_header_xxx) *
* This means that global settings and other Addons are not affected by its installation
As of July 2019, SmartTemplate⁴ is financed via a yearly license - there is an affordable standard license (around 5 bucks, that less than 50cents/month) and a more comprehensive Pro license which will give you additional premium features. The reason for this is that unlike compiled software that runs on an operating system, the constant changes on the host mail software (Thunderbird) require substantial ongoing changes with a high effort; something which cannot be provided for free ("as in beer") anymore. You may have noticed many Add-on authors abandoning their Add-ons on Firefox and Thunderbird because it was not possible for them to support their Add-ons anymore - this is directly caused by not trying to involve the users in funding the required work.
You can find example templates & many more on our Support Site.
Please email us if you find a bug or have a question instead of reporting your issue in a review.
If you have any problems, please contact us via email (see following). Incomplete bug reports without any comments or detailed bug description are not helpful to anyone.
Alternatively you can post your Bugreport on our Support Site (Bugzilla account required).
• Contact Marky Mark DE (available languages de, en-US):
• Contact Realraven (Axel Grude) (available languages de, en-US):
Development & Troubleshooting
For effective assistance, we need the following information:
- which OS you use
- your installed Thunderbird version
- your templates (you can save them with the purple button beside the Accounts drop down). If you are using Stationery you can send that as well
- composition & addressing options in account settings
- mail account type (IMAP or POP3)
- which kind of mails are affected (HTML or Plaintext)
From version 2.1.1, if you have a license you can find a support form on the rightmost tab of the advanced settings dialog; this makes it possible to write me an email directly.
To help to reproduce your problem, is it more helpful when you attach some screenshots to your problem report if you contact us. We also have a detailed Troubleshooting guide that explains how you can generate an error log.
If you want to help with development or see the source code, it's on github. License is open source: Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International (CC BY-ND 4.0) which means you can use some of the source code (with attribution) but not build a competing Add-on from our source code.
Thanks to carlitus for his great Noia Iconset, which is used on our settings dialog.
Development of the original SmartTemplate by gaby_hy (H. Yasuda) has stopped (2012) for time reasons. SmartTemplate⁴ was based on this original addon with written friendly permission from the original author.
Source code available at:
We had to rewrite much of the code to become compatible with Thunderbird 78. To keep having support sites and ongoing development, please buy a Pro license
Migration to the Thunderbird 78 Add-ons system - mail extensions with experimental APIs - was time intensive and costly. This is only the first step toward future proofing, next year Thunderbird may restrict the use of experimental APIs, which depends on having new APIs available on the Core side of the code. This relies on a good relationship between Add-on developers and the Core team (Thunderbird Council) and requires ongoing talking and design work on both sides; that's why the licensing model once again shows its superiority as it is able to fund the necessary time that needs to be spent.
Changes / Bug Fixes
- This new early version after release of 3.0 for Thunderbird 78 was necessary after releasing 2.12.1 for my legacy users (Thunderbird 60 and older)
- [issue 94] - SmartTemplates does not insert template when Forwarding inline based on an Email written with ST
- [issue 85] - fixed more dead links linking to old mozdev bugzilla bugs (these are now archived on quickfolders.org)
- Source code released under Custom License