Welcome to Thunderbird Add-ons.
Add extra features and styles to make Thunderbird your own.Close
QuickFolders (Tabbed Folders) 5.6.6
The "Swiss army knife" of folders. Turn your favorites into tabs - open folders and subfolders, move mails without scrolling around or searching. powerful + easy.
See new mail at a glance after automatic filtering - supports quickFilters addon!
About this Add-on
This extension adds an extra toolbar to Thunderbird. When you drag a mail folder to it, you get a fully customizable shortcut to that mail folder. This supports full drag and drop, like the corresponding folder in the folder tree - You can drag messages on it to move/copy them to the folder, and access the bookmarked folders through keyboard shortcuts.
This is handy when you have a large tree of folders for clients or projects, but use only a few of them at the same time.
The quickMove / quickJump feature allows you to jump to any folder with a few keystrokes, including child folders using the "slash" feature. You can even create new folders while moving mail in order to expand an existing folder hierarchy.
The Category feature adds more usability by adding distinct areas to work in; this can make it easier to focus on a task that needs just a subset of the folders visible. There is also excellent integration with the Thunderbird tabbed interface provided since Thunderbird version 3.
Thunderbird 78 users:
The latest version of QuickFolders 5.0 is now fully compatible with Thunderbird 78. Thanks to all my users for their patience during this difficult times. Issue tracker for conversion project:
Find the complete history + bug list, visit quickfolders.org/version.html
- In order to maintain full functionality, this Add-on had to be rewritten as a mail extension with experiment API, which will require full permissions on installation. As regards being allowed to do stuff, it is actually not different with any classic Add-on: they always had full access to all functions within Thunderbird. The modern mail extensions will have much more tightly managed permissions - eventually QuickFolders will also be able use this more modern approach - but the APIs for this have to be created and accepted by Mozilla first. This means a lot of ongoing work for the next 12 months forward - please support this with a license or donation:
- You can buy a license here. This is the preferred way of funding all the ongoing work and improvements.
- If you are not ready for a license you can also donate from here
Maintenance versions - 5.6.6
- [issue 177] Fixed: Unreliable search if space and "-" characters are combined in the search string
- [issue 174] Main QuickFolders toolbar was hidden in single message tabs by default. Changed to being visible by default and added a setting to QuickFolders General settings.
- [issue 176] Hide instructions on how to set up QuickFolders at startup (for users who already have set up tabs)
- [issue 179] If you have many (1000s) of folders, you can disable the "multi word search" feature with the configuration setting extensions.quickfolders.premium.findFolder.disableSpace=true to improve performance while typing in quickJump / quickMove.
- Improved icon for quickMove help
- Improved removal of event listeners when installing new versions or disabling / reloading the Add-on.
Improvements - 5.6.5
- From now on, the update splash screen will not be displayed automatically anymore. Instead, there will be a message on the QuickFolders button which can be clicked once to read the latest news. There is also a new entry "Show Splash screen" on the QuickFolders tools menu
- [issue 155] Support entering multiple words in a search string to find longer folder names that are composited, such as "Fred.Flintstone" "Invoices June 2020" "Research+Development". These can now be found by entering the starting letters of the words within the folder name, in any order. e.g. "f f" "2020 inv" "Dev Res". The following characters are regarded as word boundaries and don't need to be typed:
_ . - + & @
This can also be combined with the existing parent folder syntax by entering the parent folder start followed by a forward slash "/", e.g. enter "A/rev a" to match subfolders like "AMO » AMO-Reviews" "Addons » Accepted Revisions".
Use the new character ">" to skip any folder within the path.
Use the [?] symbol to the right of the search field to display a help panel.
- [issue 163] quickMove: folder created while moving is not displayed on top of recent folders menu.
- [web extension migration] Improved many functions that worked via accessing the "most recent Thunderbird window" and replaced them with event notifications that propagate to every window. This uses the Notification Tool library and the background script (a mechanism of the new API based "mail extensions" model).
This way all Thunderbird windows (if you work from multiple windows) will be updated correctly when doing one of the following actions. All these now work simultaneously and update in multiple Thunderbird windows:
- rename a tab
- move a tab positionto a different position
- delete a tab or remove it from or add it to a category
- change the layout of all QuickFolders toolbar elements from the options dialog (themes, colors)
- rename QuickFolders categories
- change the theme / buttons of the Current Folder Bar
- change options of where to display the Current Folder Bar (main window, message tab, single message window)
- changes to the license when entered / validated
- unlocking features such as the advanced / tab-specific properties when a license key is entered
Bug Fixes + Miscellaneus
- [issue 172] Fixed (in v5.6.5): quickMove results pathes are only showing last 2 folders in path if only a single search word is entered.
- [issue 167] Fixed: Unreadable colors of QuickFolders toolbar font and Navigation bar icons in Linux.
- [issue 150] Unwanted new line characters "\n" were displayed in some strings in version 5.5.2
- [web extension migration] Licenser code migrated into background script.
- Ongoing work of Rewriting code to use APIs instead of Thunderbird's internal functions see [issue 147] for up to date detail.
- Source code released under Custom License