To try the thousands of add-ons available here, download Mozilla Firefox, a fast, free way to surf the Web!Close
Welcome to Firefox Add-ons.
Choose from thousands of extra features and styles to make Firefox your own.Close
Babylon Dictionary Word Search 2.0.1-signed.1-signed Requires Restart
Find the definition for a selected word in a web page or an email.
Right click over the selected word, choose the option "Search in Babylon" and that's it! You will have a new window with the definition of the selected word.
About this Add-on
I'm a native Spanish speaker, but I'm constantly reading documents written in English for my work. Sometimes I don't know the definition of a word in a web page or an email I'm reading, so I have to search for the word definition in websites or even real life dictionaries.
This extension was created with the purpose of giving the user a quick and easy way to search for a word definition, using Babylon's online word search feature.
There are many ways to search for the definition of a word located in a web page or an email you are reading:
- Right click over a word and select the option "Search in Babylon" to search for the word definition
- Double click over a word to search for the word definition. This feature can be configured in the extension's Preferences Window to be always or never active
- The extension's word search window can be displayed by clicking on the Babylon icon located in the status bar or by using the default keyboard shortcut: ALT-Y
- The extension's shortcut can be changed for any key combination of your choice in the Preferences Window
- If there is a selected word in the web page or email and you display the extension's word search window, the definition for the selected word will be automatically searched
- You can choose the default language in which you want your words to be searched: English, Spanish, Portuguese, Italian and a lot more
- For every word definition you search, the results can be always displayed in the same window or in a different window for every searched word. This feature can be configured in the extension's Preferences Window
Extension's supported definition languages:
- You can search for a word definition in any of these languages: Chinese, Croatian, Dutch, English, French, German, Hebrew, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Serbian, Spanish, Swedish or Turkish
Extension's interface languages:
- The extension's user interface can be displayed in English, Italian, Portuguese or Spanish, depending on the user's browser language
Is this addon safe?:
Some people have sent support emails to the author describing this addon as malware and asking for uninstall instructions. I want to clarify that this addon is not malware. According to Wikipeda, there is a babylon malware that is installed with some other third party software, which has nothing to do with this Firefox addon:
Babylon toolbar, a browser plugin for Internet Explorer, Firefox and Chrome, is installed with various ad-supported software packages on an opt-out basis[examples needed]. This toolbar overrides default browser settings, does not provide an option to automatically revert to previous settings and is infamous for the complicated uninstallation process . This behaviour qualifies the software as malware in many users opinions.
This babylon extension for Firefox is not related to the babylon toolbar installed by other software packages. Always be careful about the software you install from unknown sources.
- Added the Babylon icon to the Toolbar (on Firefox).
- Removed the Babylon icon from the Status Bar (on Firefox).
- Reformatted the code.
- Added a couple of entities that were missing in the translation files.
- Added translation strings for the French language.
- Source code released under Mozilla Public License Version 1.1