Welcome to Thunderbird Add-ons.
Add extra features and styles to make Thunderbird your own.Close
SmartTemplates offers an easy and powerful way to automatically create customized replies by auto-inserting various mail headers. Templates can be created for every mail identity, Stationery files can now be imported and used directly.
About this Add-on
SmartTemplatesis the next generation of the popular addon SmartTemplate
You can use it for automatically filling fields like first name, last name into your reply email, or adding keywords to the subject line. You can even change the reply-to address based on search words with powerful match & replace functions. You can also now include external HTML templates and style sheets which is functionality lost since Stationery didn't update anymore. My users agree that it is a great time saver.
SmartTemplates is currently translated in the following 18 languages:
German, Dutch, English, Spanish, Finnish, French, Italian, Japanese, Occitan, Polish, Brazilian (Portuguese), Russian, Serbian, Slovenian, Swedish, Ukrainian, Simplified Chinese and Tw Chinese.
If you would like to help translating SmartTemplate⁴ into your own language, please visit the Babelzilla.org
The current Version can be found here:
- Custom templates can be automatically used for compose, reply and forward messages
- supports HTML and plain-text - some features are HTML only.
- adding your signature to your mail template (from Thunderbird Account settings)
- Define separate templates for new messages (compose), reply and forward messages
- Mail templates can be used by a single account or common for all accounts
- Intelligent content in your template by use of keywords (variables)
- This add-on does not change the default config settings. (e.g., mailnews.reply_header_xxx) *
* This means that global settings and other Addons are not affected by its installation
As of July 2019, SmartTemplate⁴ is financed via a yearly license - there is an affordable standard license (around 5 bucks, that less than 50cents/month) and a more comprehensive Pro license which will give you additional premium features. The reason for this is that unlike compiled software that runs on an operating system, the constant changes on the host mail software (Thunderbird) require substantial ongoing changes with a high effort; something which cannot be provided for free ("as in beer") anymore. You may have noticed many Add-on authors abandoning their Add-ons on Firefox and Thunderbird because it was not possible for them to support their Add-ons anymore - this is directly caused by not trying to involve the users in funding the required work.
You can find example templates & many more on our Support Site.
Please email us if you find a bug or have a question instead of reporting your issue in a review.
If you have any problems, please contact us via email (see following). Incomplete bug reports without any comments or detailed bug description are not helpful to anyone.
Alternatively you can post your Bugreport on our Support Site (Bugzilla account required).
• Contact Marky Mark DE (available languages de, en-US):
• Contact Realraven (Axel Grude) (available languages de, en-US):
Thunderbird 68 support has ended on thunderbird.net
Unfortunately thunderbird.net does not accept updates for legacy versions anymore - they only support the new "Mail extension" format and our "mail extension with experimental APIs" which is a workaround for missing advanced features.
From of version 2.17 forward you have to install such legacy versions from the github releases page
Development & Troubleshooting
For effective assistance, we need the following information:
- which OS you use
- your installed Thunderbird version
- your templates (you can save them with the purple button beside the Accounts drop down). If you are using Stationery you can send that as well
- composition & addressing options in account settings
- mail account type (IMAP or POP3)
- which kind of mails are affected (HTML or Plaintext)
From version 2.1.1, if you have a license you can find a support form on the rightmost tab of the advanced settings dialog; this makes it possible to write me an email directly.
To help to reproduce your problem, is it more helpful when you attach some screenshots to your problem report if you contact us. We also have a detailed Troubleshooting guide that explains how you can generate an error log.
If you want to help with development or see the source code, it's on github. License is open source: Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International (CC BY-ND 4.0) which means you can use some of the source code (with attribution) but not build a competing Add-on from our source code.
Thanks to carlitus for his great Noia Iconset, which is used on our settings dialog.
Development of the original SmartTemplate by gaby_hy (H. Yasuda) has stopped (2012) for time reasons. SmartTemplate⁴ was based on this original addon with written friendly permission from the original author.
Source code available at:
toclipboardparameter for address fields such as
%from(name)%to copy results to clipboard.
- Improved the parameters
bracketNamefor using with clipboard. These now do not encode the < and > signs anymore.
- [issue 208] Improved accessibility for settings dialog. tabs and buttons can now be navigated using keyboard only.
- After updating, SmartTemplates does not display the tab with version log automatically anymore. The original behavior can be restored on the licenses tab in the new 'Updates' section.
The fully translated "News" screen or a detailed change log (in English) on the support site can also be displayed opened from here.
Bug Fixes / Maintenance
- [issue 205] Fixed: After FiltaQuilla automatically forwarded or replied to an email using smarttemplate, the same template had been used in error on a following manual reply in error.
- [issue 204] Repaired the context menu command to update and replace field variables with content (without updating the content - to update it just use a left click beforehand).
- [issue 206] Repaired: %datelocal% returned a blank space instead of the localized date.
- In Thunderbird 102 We now use compose-window-init event in 102 to reliably attain headers at an earlier
stage - in order to extract headers from the original email.
- Source code released under Custom License